New Year’s Bonfires in Reykjavík
New Year’s Bonfires (Áramótabrennur) will be in 18 places in Reykjavík Capital area this year and in a similar manner and locations as before. There you can join the locals, experience old age customs and traditions of the New Year’s celebration.
New Year’s Bonfires are lit at 8.30 pm in all places except at Skerjafjörður and Úlfarsfell.
These are the locations for the 2017 New Year’s Bonfires in Reykjavík:
- Skerjafjörður, by the street Skildinganes 48 - 52 (lit at 9 pm)
- Suðurhlíðar, below the Fossvogur valley cemetery
- West of Laugarásvegur, by Valbjarnarvöllur sports area
- Fylkisbrenna, by Rauðavatn
- Gufunes, by the old recycling centre
- Kléberg in Kjalarnes
- Úlfarsfell, by Lambhagavegur, (lit at 3 pm)
In our neigbouring town the New Year’s Bonfires will be lit at 8.30 pm except in Sjávargrund in Garðabær:
- Seltjarnarnes – at Valhúsahæð
- Kópavogur – by Smárahvammsvöllur, by Digranes Kirkja Church and the Þingbrenna Bonfire at Gulaþing
- Garðabær – in Álftanes near the shore at Gesthús and at Sjávargrund (lit at 9 pm)
- Hafnarfjörður – at Ásvellir, by the Haukar sports area
- Mosfellsbær – by Leirvogur, down from Holt area
These events do not have an official schedule. It´s all about people gathering at the bonfire and enjoying each other’s company while celebrating the end of the year.
For everyone safety, the use of fireworks near bonfires is forbidden. For your information, the streets around Hallgrímskirkja will be closed off for driving traffic from 10 p.m. until 1 a.m.
There will be road blockades at:
- Eiríksgata / Mímisvegur
- Eiríksgata / Lokastígur
- Skólavörðustígur / Bjarnarstígur
- Skólavörðustígur / Kárastígur
- Frakkastígur / Bergþórugata
Please be careful when using fireworks in crowded areas. It is recommended to use Safety Glasses when handling fireworks as well as gloves. Safety Glasses can be found were fireworks are purchased.
Best wishes and happy New Year!