New Year’s bonfires and areas for fireworks in downtown Reykjavík
New Year’s Bonfires (Áramótabrennur) will be in 10 places in the Reykjavík Capital area this year and in a similar manner as before. You can join the locals and experience old age customs and traditions of the New Year’s celebration.
New Year’s Bonfires are lit at 20:30 in all places except at Skerjafjörður and Úlfarsfell.
These are the locations for the 2019 New Year’s Bonfires in Reykjavík:
- Skerjafjörður, by the street Skildinganes 48 - 52 (lit at 9 pm)
- Suðurhlíðar, below the Fossvogur valley cemetery
- West of Laugarásvegur, by Valbjarnarvöllur sports area
- Fylkisbrenna, by Rauðavatn
- Gufunes, by the old recycling centre
- Kléberg in Kjalarnes
- Úlfarsfell, by Lambhagavegur, (lit at 3 pm)
People are urged not to fire up fireworks at the bonfires.
There are three areas that are dedicated for the use of fireworks in downtown Reykjavík on New Year’s, they are:
Please be careful when using fireworks in crowded areas. It is recommended to use safety glasses when handling fireworks as well as gloves. Safety glasses can be found were fireworks are purchased.
Best wishes and happy New Year!