Hafnarborg – Hafnarfjörður Centre of Culture and Fine Art
Mon: 12.00pm - 5.00pm
Wed - Sun: 12.00pm - 5.00pm
Hafnarborg – the Hafnarfjörður Centre of Culture and Fine Art was founded in 1983, becoming the home of the town’s art collection. Chemist Sverrir Magnússon and his wife Ingibjörg Sigurjónsdóttir laid the foundations of the museum and its collection with the donation of their home and art collection to the town. On June 1st 1983, they officially presented Hafnarfjörður with a gift certificate for both the building at Strandgata 34 and an extensive collection of artwork and books. Guðjón Samúelsson originally designed the building for the chemist Sören Kampmann, who lived in the house and ran his business there from 1921. Sverrir Magnússon then took over in 1947, managing Hafnarfjarðar Apótek until 1984.