New Year‘s Bonfires (Áramótabrenna) in Reykjavík
New Year’s Bonfires (Áramótabrenna) in Reykjavík will be in a similar manner and locations as before. This has been a tradition in Iceland for decades.
The Áramótabrennas are lit at 20:30 in all places except at Skerjafjörður and Úlfarsfell.
These are the locations for the 2015 New Year’s Bonfires in Reykjavík:
2. Skerjafjörður, by the street Skildinganes 48 - 52 (lit at 21:00)
3. Suðurhlíðar, below the Fossvogur valley cemetery
4. West of Laugarásvegur, by Valbjarnarvöllur sports area
7. Fylkisbrenna, by Rauðavatn
8. Gufunes, by the old recycling centre
9. Kléberg in Kjalarnes
10. Úlfarsfell, by Lambhagavegur, (lit at 15:00)
These events do not have an official schedule. It´s all about people gathering together at the bonfire and enjoying each other’s company while celebrating the end of the year. * The use of fireworks is not allowed at the bonfires.
For everyone safety, please do not to bring fireworks to the Áramótabrenna’s!
Our neighbouring towns Áramótabrenna will all be lit at 20:30 except at Sjávargrund in Garðabær.
1. Seltjarnarnes – at Valhúsahæð
2. Kópavogur – by Smárahvammsvöllur, by Digranes Kirkja Church and the Þingbrenna Bonfire at Gulaþing
3. Garðabær – in Álftanes near the shore at Gesthús and at Sjávargrund (lit at 21:00)
4. Hafnarfjörður – at Ásvellir, by the Haukar sports area
5. Mosfellsbær – by Leirvogur, down from Holt area